CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Amish Bread


Lately I have been checking out some Amish recipes. These recipes are supposed to be great and use common and affordable ingredients. I found a recipe for this Amish whole wheat bread. I decided I would give hit a shot. It came out very well. I did find I needed to add a bit more flour to get it where it was easy to shape into loaves. I am considering getting regular sized bread loaf pans because then I could make sandwich sized loafs with this stuff. It has been great to go with dinner. A couple of times the boys and I had it toasted with butter for breakfast.

The recipe came from http://www.experience-ohio-amish-country.com/amish-wheat-bread.html
3/4 c. sugar, 3/4 c. flour, 1 Tbsp. salt, 3 c. warm water, 2 Tbsp. (2 pkg.) yeast, 3/4 c. vegetable oil, (I used canola) 2 c. whole wheat flour, 6 c. white flour; Mix sugar, flour and salt. Add water. Stir well and add yeast. Let set until it rises a bit, then add vegetable oil. Mix well, then add flour. Mix well. Let rise until double. Form into 3 loaves and let rise. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. My loaf pans were small. I ended up with four smaller loaves.

0 comments: